FontCreator - Release History
FontCreator 10.0.0.2125 [July 4, 2016]
- Fixed Windows 10 incompatibility issues with CFF based OpenType fonts
- Improved contour direction detection
- Updated naming language id list
- Improved preview of OpenType layout features
- Visually reversed order of backtrack in chaining context lookups
- Updated OpenType layout feature script, language, and feature tags
- Several minor improvements
FontCreator 10.0.0.2119 [June 28, 2016]
- Fixed the broken complete composites feature
- Bug fix in the OpenType layout features
FontCreator 10.0 [June 22, 2016]
- Unicode 9 support, including 72 new emoji characters and support for several lesser-used languages
- New vector based import of Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG)
- Copy and paste as SVG between FontCreator and other vector editing software, e.g. Inkscape, and Adobe Illustrator
- Auto correct contour directions on importing an SVG
- Contour optimize feature which reduces the number of points (nodes)
- New glyph transformer features (optimize contours, inverse effect, and select range of glyphs by glyph name)
- Improvements related to OpenType layout features
- Added support for design and supported languages tags (dlng and slng in the sfnt font table meta)
- New extend corner feature which allows you to make adjustments to a curve without interfering with the adjacent curve
- Ellipse tool draws a "perfect circle" with 20 nodes instead of 12 if drawn at very large sizes
- New vector based import of Initial Graphics Exchange Specification (IGES) files
- Tag enhancements (indication in Glyph Edit window, tag context menu items, toggle, and shortcuts)
- Improved font validation checks
- Added Total Points to the Font Information dialog
- Improved Knife Tool cursor
- New Pan with middle mouse button
- Shift + Q/W to select multiple points with the keyboard (implemented for both point and contour mode)
- Pre-processing of images (scaling up small bitmaps before tracing contours will improve the results)
- Several minor improvements and bug fixes
FontCreator 188.8.131.521 [February 9, 2016]
- Several bug fixes related to OpenType layout features
- Updated ttfautohint to version 1.5
FontCreator 9.1 [January 29, 2016]
- Several bug fixes; mainly related to OpenType layout features
- Support for custom font weights
- Unicode 8 support
- Export all open font projects
- Supporting VOLT 1.4 projects
FontCreator 9.0 [June 9, 2015]
- OpenType Designer which allows you to visually edit OpenType Layout Features including, but not limited to:
- OpenType class based kerning
- Mark to Base, Mark to Mark, Mark to Ligature, and Cursive attachments
- Substitutions like ligatures and alternates
- Anchor Manager
- Import of Visual OpenType Layout (VOLT) projects
- Unicode 7 support
- New settings added to the web font test page
- Copy glyph outline as vector data to clipboard
- Optimised font export
- Improved optical metrics
- Enhanced auto kerning
FontCreator 8.0 [June 5, 2014]
- Visual editing of OpenType Layout Glyph Positioning (GPOS) including, but not limited to:
- OpenType based kerning pairs
- Mark to Base and Mark to Mark attachments
- Anchor Manager
- CFF based exporting
- Unicode 6.3 support
- Complete unicode blocks
- Redesigned font export workflow
- Better automatic hinting
- Easier editing of customizable data files
FontCreator 7.5 [August 2, 2013]
- Added support for scalable color fonts
FontCreator 7.0.1 [June 21, 2013]
- Added glyph tagging
- Added glyph name generation
- OpenType Layout Feature glyph name list updated
- Added support for "Multiple" substitutions in the OpenType Layout Feature Editor
- Added support for multiple backtrack, input and lookahead groups for chained contextual lookup tables
- Numerous bug fixes and performance improvements
FontCreator 7.0 [April 25, 2013]
- Completely redesigned overview window
- Opening and exporting of fonts in WOFF file format
- OpenType Layout Features
- Project based font editing
- More operations have Undo/Redo support
- Support for Jumplists and Taskbar progress in Windows 7 and up
- Optical Metrics
FontCreator 6.5 [November 8, 2011]
- Added override range feature
- Updated registered vendor data
- User editable sample text in font test dialog
- Free Draw
- Enhanced the visual validation feedback within the glyph edit window
- Improved preview toolbar
- Auto correct postscript names on loading a font
- Support for OpenType fonts which exceed CFF Subroutine stack limits
FontCreator 6.2 [October 13, 2010]
- Updated Unicode data to version 6.0
- Added Position transform feature
- Improved import of vector based images
- Extended composite data
- Several new and updated transform scripts
- Minor tweaks and bug fixes
FontCreator 6.1 [March 25, 2010]
- Automatic online version checking
- New toolbar: window tabs
- Mouse wheel zoom support (glyph edit window)
- Full Unicode support
- Performance enhancements
- Font installation fix for Windows x64
- Numerous other improvements and bug fixes
FontCreator 6.0.1 [July 18, 2009]
- Improved import vector based images
- Improved support for Windows Big5, PRC, and Wansung
- Enabled Font Test during trial period
- Fixed Font Install issue
FontCreator 6.0 [June 17, 2009]
- Added import vector based images (ai/eps/pdf)
- Improved import raster based images
- Advanced drag and drop support
- Added alphanumeric to the glyph sort feature
- Updated font vendor list
- Background image enhancements
- Improved complete composites
- New feature that copies existing glyph to the background image
- Improved codepage calculation
- Enhanced the Smoothing (Grayscale) window
- Improved cubic to quadratic bezier curve conversion (affects AI/EPS/PDF imports as well as .otf to .ttf conversions)
FontCreator 5.6 [July 19, 2007]
- Improved complete composites (automatically generates outlines for over 2000 glyphs!)
- New and improved transform scripts (for example make a bold version, or add Eastern Europe characters within seconds)
- Auto Center and Zoom Glyph when Window is resized
- Launch MainType from the Tools, Launch Externals Submenu or the button on the Standard toolbar
- Glyph caption in Overview window now supports "Symbol Character", used to be ISO
- Improved glyph validation performance
- Numerous enhancements to the transformation features
- Improved background image support
- Enhanced the Kerning window
- Option to resume from last time
- Added a Calculate button to the "Additional Metrics"
- Added the glyph index to the min/max values within the Font Properties window
- Save As and Sort Font buttons
- Added "Open in New Window" when you right-click a composite glyph member
- Metrics and reference lines in the Glyph Edit window
- New feature that ensures valid PostScript glyph names
- Added import kerning pairs with their values
- Added Open link in webbrowser buttons to specific naming fields
- New fonts come with predefined outlines
- Sort glyphs by Microsoft code points, standard Macintosh ordering, PostScript name, or glyph type
FontCreator 5.5 [May 30, 2006]
- Changed product name from Font Creator to FontCreator
- Enhanced user interface with additional buttons for frequent commands
- More shortcuts and commands to context menus
- Support for Unicode input (At least Windows 2000 or Windows XP is required)
- New drawing tools: rectangle and ellipse
- Improved glyph validation
- Improved PANOSE settings
- Added a font preview to the open installed fonts dialog
- Improved the font test dialog
- Added align and distribute operations
- Improved transform wizard (added Insert Characters and Complete Composites)
- Improved "Select Incomplete glyphs"
FontCreator 5.0 [January 12, 2005]
- Changed product name from Font Creator Program to Font Creator
- Better support for adding (ranges of) characters
- More calculation support in the Font Settings window
- Enhanced grid options
- Snap to grid and snap to guidelines for bearings
- Support for CFF based OpenType fonts (.otf files)
- Complete composites; quickly add diacritical marks to incomplete glyphs
- Contour operations: union, intersection, exclusion and knife
- Bearings tab on the Transform toolbar
- Improved glyph validation
- Comparison toolbar
FontCreator 4.5 [August 17, 2004]
- Set Left Side Bearing at x=0 (see Tools -> Options -> Font)
- Better support for assigning code points from the Supplementary Planes
- Glyph Transformation window (scale, rotate, etc. all glyphs)
- Select incomplete glyphs. This way you can delete unwanted glyphs
- Bookmark support in the Overview window
- Improved Import Image feature
- Added drag and drop support for import image on both Overview and Glyph Edit windows
- Added Launch Externals from Tools menu for Fonts folder and CharMap
- Next and previous contour – walk through. (Q and W)
- Snap to grid and guideline support when creating a new contour
- Lock guidelines support
- Extended the Naming tab on the Options window. This information is added when you create a new font through File --> New
- Generate postscript names feature added to the Postscript Names window
- Calculate supported Unicode ranges on Font Settings --> Ranges tab
- Calculate supported codepages on Font Settings --> Ranges tab
- Added predefined preview text (preview.txt) used by the Preview toolbar
FontCreator 4.1 [December 1, 2003]
- Improved support for Supplementary Multilingual Planes (SMP)
- Added snap points to diagonal guidelines
- Extended search glyph functionality
- Added measurement feature
- New freehand selection toolbar button
- Improved redundant point validation
- Changed the Validation report into a wizard
- Added auto fix functionality that solves detected validation problems
- Added Sort Glyphs feature
- Enhanced the paste special feature
- Minor tweaks
FontCreator 4.0 [May 16, 2003]
- Windows XP Theme support
- Improved Open Installed Fonts window
- Added High-Logic Online in Help menu
- Sample glyph to be used on empty glyphs
- Zoom to selected
- Improved Import Image feature
- Several new toolbar buttons
- Snap to grid (points and contours and glyphs)
- Snap to user defined guidelines (points and contours and glyphs)
- Split TrueType Collection or Extract TrueType Fonts from TrueType Collection
- Glyph Validation features
- Added import kerning pairs support to the AutoKern feature
- A Font Creator Program Explorer context menu item
FontCreator 3.1.3 [December 9, 2002]
- Improved the AutoNaming wizard
- Improved Unicode support in the Preview window
- Improved Unicode support in the Naming fields
FontCreator 3.1.2 [November 29, 2002]
- Added Insert Glyph toolbar button
- Added more shortcuts
- New naming wizard
FontCreator 3.1.1 [November 3, 2002]
- Fixed paste special mapping bug
- Fixed some minor bugs
- Improved the help file
FontCreator 3.1 [October 3, 2002]
- Added a complete the help file
- Added background image support
- Some minor improvements
- Fixed a couple of minor bugs
FontCreator 3.0.2 [November 3, 2000]
- Added combine and split contours functionality
- Fixed two minor bugs
FontCreator 3.0.1 [October 7, 2000]
- "Make simple" that converts composite glyphs to simple glyphs.
- New "Find" option that enables you to find glyphs through their
postscript name or mapping values.
- "Preview Window" where you can see a sample text while editing your
- Improved the undo redo functionality.
- Copy and paste selections of glyphs.
- Character to Glyph Index Mappings now show the Unicode Character Names.
- Add mappings through the Unicode Block Selection Feature.
- The kerning window shows the two glyphs in the same area.
- PCL5 window.
- Updated the tutorial.
- A lot of other minor improvements and new features.
FontCreator 3.0 Beta 1 [July 30, 2000]
- A complete rebuild of the software.
FontCreator 2.2 [January 30, 2000]
- Updated the tutorial (to version 2.2).
- Fixed Windows NT access problem with registry and installed fonts.
- Extended the naming fields also added load and save functionality.
- Added Monospaced support; adjust distance between letters (requested by Richard R. Kramer and Eric K. Braun).
- Added more keyboard shortcuts; read the tutorial regarding simple glyphs for specific information.
- Small adjustments to the templates; version field was not correct.
- Added an optionally fixed zoom level when opening a glyph. (Antony Shipley mentioned this one).
- Various tiny bug fixes and enhancements.
FontCreator 2.1 [November 14, 1999]
- Updated the tutorial (to version 2.1).
- Improved the default new font templates. The symbol template used wrong mappings.
- Added drag and drop functionality to open font files dragged from the explorer to FCP.
- Added Naming fields License Agreement and License Agreement Link.
- The Position and the Size Tab on the Transformation Tool Bar now have the actual location and size of the selected contours.
- Added "Select All" functionality for both contours and points.
- If a composite glyph used two or more times a same glyph (like the double-quote ") only one was removed when trying to delete the used glyph.
- A composite glyph should be set to an empty glyph after all its used glyphs are removed.
- Added "delete gaspranges" available through right-click from menu-item "grayscale..".
- Fixed a bug that occurred when closing FCP while two or more fonts were still opened.
FontCreator 2.0 [August 30, 1999]
- The created and modified date and time properties were not handled correctly.
- Bug fixed (introduced in version 1.2.1) that resulted in only square (or empty) characters in the test window.
- Bug fixed that prohibited deleting glyphs in fonts without kerning.
- The Font Creator Program now prevents exceptions when encountering wrong registry keys when opening the installed fonts window.
- Added 'Use my metrics' to composite glyph window.
- Bug fixed that caused an exception when removing the kerning table.
- Improved the "New Fonts..." feature.
- Code mappings from the General->Cmap menu item now works with both decimal and hexadecimal values (Thanks to Michael von Glasow).
- Now you can select what header (postscript name or map codes) is shown above the glyphs in the overview window (Suggested by Tom Thornton, Eric Dowty, Anders Sande and a lot of other people)
- Set the maximum length of the Font Family Name to 31. Otherwise Windows does not recognize the font.
- Fixed a small but annoying samplebar bug.
- Added more info in statusbar while editing simple glyphs.
- Fixed a bug that didn't enable the paste button when another Font Creator Program performed a copy operation.
FontCreator 1.2.3 [August 1, 1999]
- Added functionality that changes the bearings in the glyph edit windows.
- Some minor bug fixes.
- Panose information swapped the wrong way. (This bug and the two below were noticed by Uwe Schröder)
- Width classification bug fixed.
- Handling of backup files didn't work properly.
FontCreator 1.2.2 [June 12, 1999]
- First release of the tutorial!
- Added Grayscale support. Found in General->Grayscale...
- Pasting bitmap from clipboard is now allowed (in glyph edit window).
- Bug fixed, now hinting will be removed when editing a glyph. This was not always the case in version 1.2.1.
- Added a SpinEdit to the Threshold in the Image to Contour window.
- Fixed a bug with the glyphs advanced width and left side bearings.
- Added ascent and decent lines in glyph edit window.
FontCreator 1.2.1 [June 2, 1999]
- Kerning glyphs
- Preserve unknown tables
- Preserve hinting in font and/ or glyphs. Hinting will only be removed when editing a glyph
- Reserved Postscript names are mapped to the .notdef name
- FCP now 'highlights' unused glyphs (actually a little box is shown in the glyph overview window)
FontCreator 1.2 [May 26, 1999]
- New advanced feature Image to Glyph conversion added - available from Contours->Import Image... Finally you can add your signature, logo and complete handwriting into your own fonts!
- Added High-Logic [HL] to the Vendor List!
- After saving a font file the font is assumed to be unmodified. This improves the functionality added in version 1.1.4.
FontCreator 1.1.4 [May 15, 1999]
- Improved the Splash screen.
- Overlapping points are now drawn as one point. This prevents an even number of points on the exact same position to hide themselves out.
- Improved the Change setting for Unicode <-> Symbol.
- Now FCP does a better job of remembering what fonts have been modified. In other words, fonts that not have been changed are now closed without the annoying warning of "saving the font Y/N?". (Thanks to Gwidon S. Naskrent). One more thing; because FCP isn't able to see wheather there's changed anything in a 'General' menu item, FCP assumes the font has been changed if one of those menu items has been selected.
- Fixed a bug that occurred when closing all windows at ones. It will still occur when you have opened more than 100 fonts at ones.
- About the Transformation Toolbar - changed the minimum value of the Size edit boxes from -32767 to 1 and changed the direction from the y-axis.
FontCreator 1.1.3 [April 22, 1999]
- Fixed a strange bug that occurred when using a mousewheel after FCP was shell executed because an associated file got opened.
- Finished the toolwindow mentioned in release 1.1.2. Jeff Williams encouraged me to make this feature so manual changes could be made.
- Added 'snap to grid' support. (Gave it a higher priority thanks to Jeff Lee)
- Changed the way the actual grid point size behaves. Now it really helps when trying to line up those long lines.
- The functionality of the 'New contour' feature has been changed. Now the user has to design the contour (manually draw the points). This makes it a lot easier to quickly add contours.
- Also a lot of small changes and some internal restructuring has taken place.
- The 'testing a font' feature inside the Font Creator Program now supports printing.
FontCreator 1.1.2 [April 9, 1999]
- Double-click in the Glyph Edit window now changes from contour mode to point mode and back.
- Multiple Undo and Redo Boxes like MS products.
- Associating the .ttf extension to FCP was never a problem but now it is able to restore the association to the previous application.
- Finally fixed a bug that sometimes occurred while pasting a large number of glyphs, contours or points.
- New Floating and dockable toolbars so now FCP has an even more professional interface.
- Added a checkbox that specifies whether the Font Creator Program should redraw the editing screen while moving contours and points.
- Started with a toolwindow where you can edit contours and points by typing coordinates etc. This is not finished yet...
FontCreator 1.1.1c [March 15, 1999]
- Better way of testing the fonts inside FCP, now all character sets are available.
FontCreator 1.1.1b [March 14, 1999]
- Some small fixes, but the improvements are quite big!
- Updated the new font templates.
- Added some features in the Metrics menu item. Previous versions prevented installing and creating Symbol fonts.
FontCreator 1.1.1a [March 11, 1999]
- Completely redesigned the font installation procedure. Now you are guided through a Wizard, making it possible to inform you when a font is already installed.
- Open installed font file located in a folder other than the default windows folder now works as expected.
- Backups for fonts located in the default windows font folder are saved to the fcp folder. This way Windows won't get confused about which fonts actually are installed.
- Fixed byte versus smallint bug. Some composite glyphs had an unexpected change of the x-offset -- Henry Kammler thanks for reporting this bug.
- Added color to the glyph captions. This option (like a lot of other options) can be changed through the "Edit->Options" menu item.
- Made the char grid navigable via arrow keys. The scrollbar lost focus. Gwidon S. Naskrent mentioned this bug and a lot of good tips.
- When a font has corrupted glyphs they won't show up, you'll see a red rectangle instead.
FontCreator 1.1.1 [March 3, 1999]
- Some major bug fixes and a lot of new features added.
- Finally all required internal font properties are available.
- New bearings button added.
- New Table Info menu item added.
- Some useful tips through the 'tip of the day' feature.
- A lot of index properties changed to descriptions.
- New functionality -- convert between Unicode to Symbol Platform.
FontCreator 1.0.8 [February 21, 1999]
- Added new menu item "Mode" where you can change between contourmode and pointmode while editing a simple glyph.
- Extended the glyph properties window.
- New settings window added to the General menu item.
- Some major/ fundamental bug fixes, according to deleting contours and points.
- Changed the way of inserting and deleting glyphs. Now all edit-glyphs windows of the current font have to close before you can perform those operations.
- More options added to the "Edit -> Option" menu item.
- Added some new internal calculations, improves the quality of the font file.
- The "File -> New..." menu item has been implemented. You can choose between a new symbol font and a normal (Unicode) font.
- Added some settings like glyph width, height and size at overview and samples window.
FontCreator 1.0.7 [February 16, 1999]
- Some major bug fixes.
- Found some nasty bugs in the Undo, Redo and Repeat functionality.
FontCreator 1.0.6 [February 7, 1999]
- Some minor changes (button and window positions, sizes etc...)
- Registry items like recently opened files, position and size of mainform and tool window(s).
- Registration window, for registered users. At the moment it doesn't mean they get more features. But future versions will have some restrictions for unregistered users.
- New edit window for changing a glyph's internal name.
- Fixed a bug with the zoomin button.
- Fixed a bug with selecting multiple contours.
FontCreator 1.0.5 [January 25, 1999]
- Fixed problem with locating the help file. Fixed thanks to Tom TCNS, Derek Baker and Del Fullmer.
- Open Font files now allows you to open fonts in the Windows font directory.
FontCreator 1.0.4 [November 4, 1998]
- Fixed a couple of submenu (right-click menu's) items that where not attached to the existing functionality.
- Corrected our e-mail and web-site address in the help file.
- A little more documentation in the help file. Working on this one, but it will take some time.
- Direct connection through the program to a file at our site, of course only if the user (you) want this!
FontCreator version 1.0 [April 11, 1998]
FontCreator Preview release [November 1, 1997]
Development started [September 14, 1997]
Research started [March 10, 1997]